The Carmen Powers Legacy Lecture Series
Submission deadline: March 17, 2017
In 2013, the Legacy Lecture Series was renamed in remembrance of our colleague Carmen Powers, whose career-long, passionate commitment to her students, colleagues and college was immeasurable.
The intent of the Carmen Powers Legacy Lecture Series is to share and preserve MCC’s collective professional and institutional wisdom. It is open to all MCC employees who are about to retire and is not restricted to faculty retirees.
MCC Faculty and Staff who are retiring, and who would like to share a special remembrance or particular perspective gleaned throughout their MCC career, are invited to apply. Members of the MCC community are also enthusiastically encouraged to nominate anyone they know who is retiring.
Previous Lecture Series and biographies are available on the Legacy Lecture page of the Scholars' Day website
Eligibility: All nominees must have submitted their intention to retire before the nomination deadline.
Criteria: The successful candidate(s) for the Carmen Powers Legacy Lecture Series will fulfill, if not surpass, the following criteria:
- The individual has had a long and distinguished career at MCC
- The individual is actually retiring, not moving on to another college administrative or teaching assignment, at MCC or elsewhere.
- The individual is an outstanding teacher, mentor, advisor, leader to peers and students
- The individual has long history of serving MCC in his/her field/department/college community
- The individual is an expert in his/her discipline/professional area.
- The individual has a demonstrated history as someone who is sought out by peers, students and administrators as a skilled problem solver
- The individual has a meaningful message to share with the College that will enrich the lives and work of MCC faculty, staff and students.
- A single-page nomination letter should clarify the intended retirement date, the years of service at MCC, as well as the ways in which the nominee fulfills the criteria for the honor.
- Nominators must submit 10 copies of the letter to the Faculty Senate Professional Development Committee, ℅ Gale Lynch), by March 17, 2017